When it comes to practicing sword techniques for dueling or for self-defense, the issue of safety is quite important. After all, nobody wants to get cut or otherwise injured while attempting to practice fencing in some way. In order to make sure that such accidents never happen again, it is best to choose the right fencing swords. If you are looking forward to purchasing fencing swords specifically for some training sessions or bouts, you need to take several things into account before making your final decision. This article will help you understand what makes a good fencing sword and how can you tell if yours is up to standard or not.
Are Fencing Swords Sharp?
A fencing sword is designed specifically for the sport of fencing. The sword has a sharp blade that is used for thrusting and cutting, while the tip is blunted to prevent injuries. The blade may be straight or curved, and the handle is designed to fit snugly in the hand. Fencing swords should not be confused with dueling swords or military swords, which have straight blades and are not designed for thrusting.
How To Tell If Your Fencing Sword Is Sharp Enough?
1. Check The Condition Of The Handle
The handle of the sword is responsible for keeping the blade in place and protecting the hand from getting hurt. The best way to determine if the handle is sturdy and strong enough is to give it a squeeze. A new fence should have a sturdy handle that doesn’t bend, crack, or show signs of wear and tear. If the handle feels like it’s about to break, consider getting a new set of equipment before you end up hurting yourself. The last thing you need is to be in pain or get injured during a match. You’ll also earn yourself a yellow card if you fail to meet the requirements of the sport. If you are unsure about the quality of the handle, you can contact the manufacturer and ask them about the product’s durability. You can also read reviews and feedback from other customers who have purchased the same product.
2. Have Your Sword Sharpened By A Professional
You need to have your fencing sword sharpened by a professional before using it in a match. A brand new fencing sword might be dull in order to prevent accidental cutting. This doesn’t mean it’s ready to be used in competition. Before you step onto the field, you must have your sword sharpened. This is because a dull blade will bounce off your opponent’s sword when you try to strike. It might also cause the tip of your blade to bend and break during a parry. When choosing the right place to have your sword sharpened, make sure to check the reviews and feedback of other customers.
3. Test Its Weight And Balance
Before you take your sword to the repair shop, you should test its weight and balance. A fencing sword should be heavy enough to make a solid impact, yet light enough to allow you to make quick and agile moves. If your fencing sword is too heavy or too light, you might have difficulty performing your moves and make an inaccurate strike. The last thing you need is to accidentally hit your opponent or make a failed attempt. If your fencing sword is too heavy, you should try removing the handle to see if it makes a difference. If not, you should try to make a complaint to the manufacturer and request a lighter fencing sword.
4. Sight The Edge By Dropping A Drop Of Ink
Once you’ve confirmed that your fencing sword is too heavy or too light, you should sight the edge in order to determine if it’s sharp enough for a competition. You can do this by dropping a drop of black ink directly onto the surface of the blade. If the ink flows evenly across the surface of the blade, it means the sword is sharp enough to be used in a match. However, if the ink stops at a certain portion of the blade, it means the edge isn’t sharp enough and needs to be sharpened or replaced. If the ink only flows at a certain spot on the blade, it means the blade is too dull and needs to be replaced. It might also indicate that the blade is bent or damaged. If you notice that the ink isn’t running evenly across the sword, you should have your fencing sword sharpened as soon as possible.
5. Heck The Point By Stabbing A Soft Surface
You can also check the point of your fencing sword to determine its sharpness. You can do this by stabbing a soft surface, such as a carpet or pillow. If the blade pierces the surface without hesitation, it means the blade is sharp enough for competition. If the blade is too dull, it might get stuck in the surface, forcing you to apply more force to pull it out. You should replace your fencing sword if you find it difficult to push the blade through the surface after a few tries.
What Do You Need To Know Before Buying A Fencing Sword?
- Weight – The weight of a fencing sword matters a lot because it can decide whether you can use it properly or not. A fencing sword that is too light or too heavy can be very uncomfortable to use for long periods of time. You should choose a sword that feels comfortable in your hands and is neither too heavy nor too light.
- Blade length – The blade length is another thing to consider when buying a fencing sword. Longer blades are generally used for single-handed fencing while shorter blades are more suitable for two-handed fencing.
- Type of the blade – The kind of blade that your fencing sword has can determine the way it should be used and the techniques that you can apply with it. There are three types of fencing blades – the French blade, the German blade, and the Italian blade. Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages and can be used in various ways.
- Point of the blade – The point of the blade can also decide how you are going to use it in fencing. There are three points to choose from – the blunt point, the rounded point, and the sharp point.
- Grip – The grip of a fencing sword can be made from several different materials. No matter which material your fencing sword’s grip is made from, it should always be firm and comfortable enough to hold it for a long time.
What Makes A Good Fencing Sword?
- In order to know what makes a good fencing sword, you should know the characteristics of a perfect fencing sword first. Here are the most important ones.
- A Strong Blade – The blade of a fencing sword should be made of a strong and sturdy material. Carbon or stainless steel are the best options for this job. –
- A Good Point – The point of a fencing sword is the part that you mostly use when fencing. It must be sharp enough to cut your opponent’s skin but not so sharp that it can hurt you as well. A rounded point is always better in this situation.
- A Durable Handle – The handle of a fencing sword should be very strong and durable enough to withstand the constant stress and pressure of fencing. –
- A Good Weight – The weight of a fencing sword should be just right. It should not be too heavy or too light to make it uncomfortable to use. – A Proper Length – The length of a fencing sword should be just enough for the person using it.
- A Proper Material – The material of the fencing sword must be able to withstand the high level of intensity that fencing requires.
Buying the right fencing swords can be very tricky due to the large number of different types and models available on the market today. To make sure that you choose the best fencing swords for your needs, make sure to consider their weight, blade length, blade material, point of the blade, grip, and type. In addition to that, you should also test your fencing swords for sharpness before using them in fencing. If your fencing sword is sharp enough, it will easily cut through a piece of paper or leave a scratch on your finger. With these tips in mind, you can now find the best fencing swords for sale and use them for dueling or for self-defense with confidence.