Wearing your hair in tight curls for a perm isn’t always relaxing. In fact, it can be quite stressful. You have to keep your hair in tight curls for several hours and make sure that you’re not exposed to any kind of moisture or humidity during the process. If you wet your hair after getting a perm, will it become curly again? And what about if you go swimming? These are natural questions that everyone will ask themselves before taking on this process again. A perm is a chemical treatment that alters the texture of your hair. This means that any moisture from water, humidity or even sweat will mess up the curl pattern until your hair returns to its normal state. Perming your hair is not something you can do once and then ignore for the rest of the time. You need to take precautions and avoid exposure to moisture as much as possible if you want to maintain those tight curls. Let’s check out some tips on how you can protect yourself from getting wet after perming your hair.
Can I Wet My Hair After a Perm?
Yes, you can wet your hair after a perm as long as you don’t get the perm wet for 24 hours after it has been done. If your hair is wet before the perm is applied, it will not take to the chemicals correctly and could result in an uneven curl or frizz. If you do get your hair wet within 24 hours of getting the perm, it could loosen the curl pattern or cause your hair to become tangled. To avoid this, wait until at least 24 hours have passed before shampooing or swimming.
What To Expect After Perming Your Hair
- The first few days are the most important. During this period, you will have dry hair and find it difficult to keep your hair in the curls for the long hours that the process requires. You will also see a lot of white residue on your hair.
- After day three, your hair will start to become more manageable and you will be able to comb through your hair easily.
- After day four, you can shower without worrying about damaging your curls. Your curls will take a while to return to their original state but they won’t be damaged by water at this point either.
- After six days, your hair will be completely back to its original state. There will be no trace of the chemical application and your hair will be soft and shiny.
- After a week, you can wash your hair as normal. You will find that your curls are more defined but they won’t be as tight as before the perm.
How To Avoid Getting Wet After A Perm
1. Avoid Perming While Wearing a Cap
If you’re going to get a perm, you’ll need to wear a cap for the duration of the process. It will protect your hair from getting damaged by moisture and humidity. If you can’t wear a cap, you can always use hairnets or shower caps. The only issue with these is that they don’t protect your hair from getting wet and it won’t be as comfortable as wearing a cap in the first place.
2. Use a Moisturizer After Perming Your Hair
Perms leave your hair dry and brittle after it dries out completely. If you want to avoid getting wet after perming your hair, try using a moisturizing conditioner or mask to keep it soft and healthy after drying out completely. Another option is using an oil-based product like coconut oil, olive oil, or castor oil on your hair before drying it out completely so that your hair can retain moisture for a longer period of time.
3. Use a Shampoo That’s Not Water Based
You can also use a clarifying shampoo or a shampoo that’s not water-based to remove the chemicals from your hair after getting a perm. This will help you remove any residue left behind on your hair so that it won’t be as porous and absorb water easily. The main purpose of clarifying shampoos is to get rid of residue left behind by the chemical treatment, so you don’t have to worry about it too much. However, if you want to avoid getting wet after perming your hair, you can avoid using these types of products altogether.
4. Avoid Perming Your Hair While Wearing Hats or Headbands
If you need to walk around while wearing a hat or headband, make sure that it doesn’t cover up your entire head and doesn’t leave exposed patches of hair. You can also use a scarf to cover your head and keep it warm while perming your hair.
5. Avoid Perming Your Hair in the Rain
One of the easiest ways to get wet after perming your hair is to do it in the rain. If you’re going to get a perm, you should avoid doing it during the rainy season as much as possible. Even if you have a perm done during winter, you should make sure that it’s done under some sort of cover that will protect your hair from getting wet and damaged by rainwater.
6. Use Heat Protectant After Perming Your Hair
If you want to avoid getting wet after perming your hair, you need to make sure that you apply heat protectant or sealant on your head after drying out completely so that it can retain moisture for longer periods of time. This will ensure that your hair doesn’t become brittle and dry out quickly.
Can I Go Swimming After A Perm?
1. Always use a swim cap
A swim cap is the best way to protect your hair from moisture and water. It’s also easy to fit into your bag when you’re on the go. If you have short hair, make sure that you bring along a swim cap with a large brim. You also need to bring along a swim cap if you plan on going swimming in a pool or ocean.
2. Avoid swimming in the sea
If you plan on going swimming after getting your perm, do it only after 24 hours of said treatment because there is still some chance that your perm will change into an entirely different curl pattern when exposed to water. So try not to go swimming right after getting your perm done because this will change the curl pattern and ruin the curls you worked so hard for!
3. Don’t swim if you can’t swim
If you are not very good in the water, it is best that you don’t go swimming right after getting your perm because there will be a high possibility that the heat of the water will make your hair curly again. You need to be able to swim before going swimming after getting a perm done.
Tips For Protecting Your Hair From Humidity And Sweat
- Wear a hat: A hat is not just a piece of clothing that you wear on your head to keep your hair dry. It can also help protect the hair from humidity and sweat. You can also use hats made out of material that absorbs moisture. If you have curly hair, it’s best to wear hats that are stretchy and not tight-fitting.
- Use a scarf or bandana: If it’s summer, avoid wearing tight-fitting clothes like shirts and shorts as much as possible because they will make it difficult for you to breathe and thus make you more susceptible to heat stroke. Instead, wear loose-fitting clothes with sleeves or use a scarf or bandana to cover your head for protection against heat when going outside in the heat of the sun. Make sure that the scarf does not get too wet because if it does, it will just be another source of moisture for your hair.
- Shower before going outside: Before going out in the sun, shower and wash your hair. This will prevent the hair from getting too wet and thus make it difficult for you to maintain tight curls.
- Wear a hat when going outside: If you’re going to be outside for a long time, wear a hat or scarf to protect your hair from the sun and warm temperatures.
Perms are a fun and easy way to dramatically change the look of your hair. They are especially great for people who have normal hair and want extra volume and thickness. When you get a perm, you’ll want to avoid getting wet for about a month. During this time, you’ll also want to be careful about humidity. You can use dry shampoo, hair serums, and cold water to minimize frizz while your perm is in effect. When your curls fall out, you can get another perm to change things up again. If you want to change up your hair, then a perm is the way to go. Perms are easy to get and last for 3-4 months. After getting a perm, you’ll want to avoid getting wet and you’ll want to use dry shampoo and hair serums to keep your hair looking great.