Did you know that every day, your mouth produces about 20 million gallons of saliva? This natural substance helps neutralize the harsh chemicals found in food and drinks. It also protects your teeth and gums from decay. Without it, your mouth would begin to dry out and bacteria would start growing faster than they could be wiped out. Mouthwash is a type of antibacterial liquid that you use to keep your mouth healthy and prevent bacterial buildup. You can use it on its own or mix it with watermelon juice, homemade suppositories, or other natural remedies. You can find many different types of mouthwashes, but the most common ones include menthol or mint flavors, as well as spheres soaked in alcohol. If you’re looking for help keeping your mouth clean and helping fight disease, then check out our top-ten lists of how often to use mouthwash and our expert recommendations for which ones are best.
How often should you use mouthwash?
It depends on your health, dental hygiene, and general oral hygiene. Mouthwash is a good way to freshen your breath and protect your teeth and gums from infection. However, it’s important to use mouthwash only when needed, as bacteria that can cause food-borne illness can be transmitted through mouth rubs. As with any oral hygiene technique, it’s important to follow up with regular toothbrushing and flossing to help prevent cavities and periodontal disease.
How Does Use A Mouthwash?
1. Rinse your mouth with water
Avoid using mouthwash if you have a dry mouth, as it can make the problem worse. If you’re not sure whether your mouth is dry, try to stick your tongue out. If it’s difficult to do so, your mouth is probably too dry.
2. Rinse your mouth with mouthwash
Use a soft-bristle toothbrush to help clean your tongue and the back of your throat while you’re at it. Then, rinse with a small amount of mouthwash after you brush your teeth.
3. Brush your teeth once more
Rinse and repeat this process twice a day, morning and night. It’s also a good idea to use mouthwash before going to bed, as it can help keep germs from spreading to other parts of your body while you’re sleeping soundly in bed!
4. Use mouthwash after meals
If you’re out and about, you can use mouthwash to freshen your breath and kill germs. Just make sure to swish it around in your mouth for 30 seconds before swallowing it.
5. Floss regularly
Use a little bit of mouthwash on your toothbrush or floss after meals to help keep your teeth clean and fresh! Mouthwash is great for cleaning in between teeth areas that are hard to reach with a toothbrush alone.
6. Use a tongue scraper
While you’re brushing your teeth, use a toothbrush to scrape your tongue. This will help remove the bacteria that cause bad breath and prevent the build-up of the bacteria that cause cavities and gum disease.
7. Be careful not to swallow mouthwash!
As mentioned above, it’s important to remember that mouthwash is intended for oral use only! Swallowing mouthwash can be harmful, especially if it contains alcohol or peroxide, so make sure not to swallow any of it!
What Type Of Mouthwashes Is Best For Your Budget?
Listerine is a popular mouthwash because it has a pleasant minty taste and contains no alcohol, alcohol-based ingredients, or peroxide. It is also very economical; you can buy Listerine for as little as $0.99 at most drug stores!
Biotene is an inexpensive alternative to Listerine that contains no alcohol and doesn’t contain any artificial flavors or colors. This mouthwash can be purchased for less than $1 at most drug stores and grocery stores.
3. ZO LIP CARE
ZO LIP CARE mouthwash also comes in a variety of flavors and has an affordable price tag of around $1-$2 depending on where you purchase it from!
4. Colgate Dental Care Mouthwash
Colgate Dental Care Mouthwash costs around $1-$2 depending on where you purchase it from, but it’s one of the more popular brands of mouthwash among dentists and hygienists who work in dental offices or labs! This product has been clinically tested to kill 99% of harmful bacteria (including “Caulobacter crescentus”, which causes bad breath). It also includes the ingredient sodium perborate, which helps kill germs in the mouth by getting rid of the pH balance in your mouth!
5. Listerine Kids
Listerine Kids mouthwash is formulated specifically for children, so it comes in a kid-friendly pink bottle with a cute little ladybug on it! Listerine Kids mouthwash costs around $1-$2 depending on where you purchase it from, but this product has been clinically tested to kill 99% of harmful bacteria (including “Caulobacter crescentus”, which causes bad breath). It also includes the ingredient sodium perborate, which helps kill germs in the mouth by getting rid of the pH balance in your mouth!
6. Listerine Advanced Care
Listerine Advanced Care is a mouthwash that contains no alcohol and has no artificial flavors or colors. This product can be purchased for less than $2 at most drug stores and grocery stores.
How Does Choose Between An Alcohol And A Menta Sphere?
Alcohol is an ingredient that is commonly found in mouthwash products, so it’s important to note that alcohol can be drying to your mouth and can do more harm than good. If you are using an alcohol-based mouthwash, make sure you follow the instructions on the label and do not use too much.
Menta spheres (also known as menthol crystals) are a popular ingredient found in mouthwashes that have been used for over 100 years. Menthol crystals help relieve soreness and dry mouth symptoms by acting as a natural decongestant and warming up the air in your mouth! Menthol crystals come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and flavors that are priced anywhere from $0.99-$3.99 depending on where you purchase them from!
What Are The Pros Of Using Mouthwash?
- They are the easiest and safest way to get rid of bad breath.
- They are a great way to keep your teeth, gums, and tongue healthy.
- They can prevent cavities and protect your teeth against decay.
- They can also help you breathe easier as they can temporarily relieve dry mouth symptoms like soreness, burning, and even cracked lips!
- It’s also important that you brush your teeth after you use mouthwash to remove any residue left behind from the alcohol or menthol crystals.
- If you’re using a mouthwash that contains alcohol, make sure to follow the instructions on the label and do not use too much.
- Mouthwash can be used to help freshen up your breath after you’ve eaten certain foods (like onions, garlic, or spicy foods).
What Are The Cons Of Using Mouthwash?
- They can be expensive to purchase.
- They are not recommended for children under the age of 6 due to their alcohol content.
- The menthol crystals in mouthwashes can be harmful if they are swallowed, so it’s important to keep them out of reach of children and pets!
- They can be harmful to the environment if you do not properly dispose of the bottle or packaging.
- Mouthwashes can be drying to your mouth, so it’s important that you follow the instructions on the label to prevent overuse and dryness!
- Mouthwashes are not meant to replace brushing and flossing, but instead are meant as an addition to your oral care routine. Yu should still brush and floss regularly for optimal oral health!
- They can cause cavities if left in contact with your teeth for too long, so make sure to keep them out of reach of children and pets!
Mouthwash is a type of antibacterial liquid that you use to keep your mouth healthy and prevent bacterial buildup. You can use it on its own or mix it with watermelon juice, homemade suppositories, or other natural remedies. If you’re looking for help keeping your mouth clean and helping fight disease, then check out our top-ten lists of how often to use mouthwash and our expert recommendations for which ones are best.