Skunks are amazing creatures. They’re smart, stealthy, and able to recognize the danger in their environment. Their ability to recognize and avoid danger is what makes it so difficult for humans to deal with them when they get into our houses. When they find a way into your house, they have their own set of defenses that make it impossible for you to chase them out or trap them. Instead, the skunk will likely take up residence in your basement or crawlspace until it decides to leave on its own accord. This can be a rather harrowing experience – but thankfully there are ways to deal with these furry intruders before they have a chance to release their scent and make your home uninhabitable. Here is how you can get rid of a skunk under your house.
How To Get Rid Of A Skunk Under Your House
1. Make sure that you keep your yard clean. Skunks don’t like to live near dirty things, so keep your yard clean and free of debris.
2. Don’t leave out food for skunks. If a skunk has found a way into your home, it will try to find food in order to survive and will likely dig through trash cans looking for scraps. Don’t leave out food for them – especially if you want to avoid an encounter with them in the first place!
3. Get rid of any outdoor pets that might be able to get into the house and attract a skunk into your living space. This could include dogs, cats, or even birds! If you own any animals, you can make sure they have been properly vaccinated against rabies before bringing them inside and making sure they are kept indoors at all times!
4. Keep your property up-to-date on pest control treatments – especially if there are holes in the roof or walls where pests could be getting inside! If there is a hole in the roof or wall, it is best to patch it before moving forward with any other steps that you may decide to take towards getting rid of a skunk under your house.
5. Keep your windows and doors closed as much as possible. Skunks don’t like to be in warm, dark spaces and will often leave if they feel that their presence is not welcome.
6. If you can find it, try to catch the skunk and release it outside of the home in a safe place but also make sure that it does not come back inside! It is best for you to try to catch the skunk alive so that you can humanely remove it from your home.
What To Do If A Skunk Is In Your House
- Don’t panic. If you’re the type of person that can’t deal with mild irritation and a few skunks in your house, then you may need to find a new place to live. There is no shame in this you will likely not be able to handle it.
- Get rid of your garbage cans. Skunks love garbage cans, so if one is on your property, it will likely find its way into your house as well. This isn’t going to solve the problem, but it will make sure the smell stays away from where you sleep and eat.
- Get rid of any food that attracts skunks in the first place (examples: bacon grease, cat food). If they can smell it and they have already come into contact with it, they are likely just itching to get back out there and make sure that doesn’t happen again in the future.
- Set up traps or humane traps for them to use when they leave your home and try not to kill them if you can help it.
The Best Ways To Get Rid Of A Skunk Under Your House
1. Get rid of the source of the smell
If you are living in an area that has a high population of skunks, then you’re going to have a lot more problems than just having a skunk under your house. The first step to getting rid of the skunk under your house is to identify where it’s coming from. If you don’t know exactly where they are coming from, then it will be nearly impossible to get rid of them. If you want to find out where they’re coming from, you can use a simple method called trapping. This involves setting out food and water near the location where they like to feed and sleep as well as at their entry points into your home. This will allow you to come up with an idea of which areas are frequented by the skunks and which ones aren’t. Once you know this information, then you can start trying to trap them or trying other methods that will help get rid of them altogether.
2. Use baits
This is one of the most effective ways for getting rid of a skunk in your basement or crawlspace. The best part about using bait is that it won’t cause any harm to humans or animals – so if someone gets too close or touches it, there isn’t any risk involved whatsoever! The only downside is that there will be evidence left behind for days after using bait – so make sure not to use too much of it at once.
3. Use old-fashioned traps
There are many types of traps that have been used for years to get rid of skunks – but one of the most effective ones is the cage trap. This involves setting out your bait and then creating a trap that will catch the skunk when it tries to get in. Once you’re able to catch a skunk in a cage trap, then you can release it back into the wild – where it will never come back again!
4. Get professional help
If you’re not able to catch the skunk on your own and are looking for professional help, then there are a few different options that you can choose from. The best option is to get them professionally trapped by a professional trapper. This will allow you to set up the trap in a safe and secure location, where they can be released once they’re caught!
Getting a skunk out of your house is no easy task. They’re intelligent, resourceful animals, and they’ll do everything they can to stay in their preferred den. Thankfully, there are ways to get rid of them, but they’re not easy. You’ll have to be patient, careful, and persistent if you want to remove a skunk from your house.