Getting your graduation photo taken in a heavy, old-fashioned gown can be a nightmare. Wrinkles are inevitable and almost unavoidable. That’s why it is essential to know how to get wrinkles out of your graduation gown so that you look picture perfect on the day of your big moment. If you are having a hard time keeping your graduation gown wrinkle-free, here are some tips on how to get wrinkles out of your graduation gown.
How To Get Wrinkles Out Of Your Graduation Gown?
Dry cleaning only
Your graduation dress is likely made from a delicate fabric that can’t handle being washed or dried in a machine. If you have a garment like this, you’ll need to take it to a dry cleaner. You’ll want to ask the dry cleaner about the best way to clean your dress so the fabric doesn’t get ruined. You may even want to take a picture of the tag with the cleaning instructions on it so you can remember for next time. If your dress is made from a stain-resistant fabric, you can get away with dry cleaning it once. If it is made of a delicate fabric, you will want to dry clean your gown as many times as it requires to get the wrinkles out. This can become expensive, so make sure you have a backup plan if you don’t want to spend the money on dry cleaning.
Hang in the bathroom
You might not have a fancy garment bag to hang your gown in, but you probably have a towel rack. If you have a plastic hanger, you can place your gown on the rack to get the wrinkles out. If you have a wooden hanger, put the gown on a towel on the rack. Since it’s a warm day and no one is using the bathroom, you can also hang your gown in the bathroom. After you’ve taken a hot shower, turn off the fan and open the door so your gown can hang in the steam and warm air. The steam will loosen up the wrinkles in your gown but don’t leave it in the bathroom too long or it will start to smell like mildew.
Lay on the floor
If you have a hardwood or tile floor, you can place your gown on the floor in a place where the sun shines on it. The sun will help to get the wrinkles out, and the cool tile will keep your gown from getting too warm. This method isn’t as effective as the oven or iron because it isn’t as warm. The sun and the tile floor won’t be as hot as an oven, so it will take longer to get your wrinkles out. But because it is free and doesn’t require any special equipment, it’s a great option for those on a budget.
Get a steaming iron
If you don’t have time to wait for your gown to dry or you don’t have a warm, sunny place to hang it, a steaming iron can be your best friend. A steaming iron is a special kind of iron that uses water to generate steam and remove wrinkles. Some irons come with a water tank, while other irons come with a water spray attachment that you can hook up to a spout. With an iron with a water tank, you can fill the water tank with water and let it sit while you do other things. Then, when you are ready to iron your gown, hook up the water spray attachment and start ironing. You don’t want to iron your gown while the water is flowing or you will risk ruining your dress.
Try out dry shampoos and stain removers
If your gown is made from delicate fabric and you don’t have time for the iron or steaming method, you can try a dry shampoo or stain remover. Dry shampoos can be effective at removing odors, but they aren’t great at removing dirt or oil from fabric. If you want to use dry shampoo, wait until your gown is completely clean of dirt and oil. If you try to use a dry shampoo while your gown is dirty, it won’t be very effective. Stain removers can work on fabric, but you will have to test them on a small area first to make sure they don’t cause any damage. Many dry shampoos and stain removers can be used on different fabrics.
What Can Cause Wrinkles On A Graduation Gown?
Wedding gowns are beautiful and elegant, but they are notorious for being very delicate. Thus, they are very susceptible to wrinkles. A graduation gown is more durable than a wedding gown, but it is still susceptible to wrinkles. Here are some of the ways that you can get wrinkles on your gown:
- Over-steaming: Make sure not to over-steam your gown. You can cause irreversible damage to your gown if you are too aggressive with your steamer.
- Hanging: Make sure to hang your gown carefully. If you don’t, you could get wrinkles in your gown that are impossible to get out.
- Touching: It’s a given that you probably aren’t going to want your gown to be as delicate as a wedding gown. That being said, you shouldn’t be touching it as much either.
- Sitting: You might not have many options when it comes to sitting on your graduation gown. But if you do, make sure you don’t get any wrinkles in the fabric.
- Poor posture: Please try to keep your posture upright when you are wearing your gown. If you slouch, you could end up getting wrinkles on your gown.
Tips On How To Get Wrinkles Out Of Your Graduation Gown
- You shouldn’t try to iron your gown because it will most likely damage the fabric and make the wrinkles worse.
- You can, however, try using a steamer. If you have a steamer, you can put your gown on a hanger and use the steamer to carefully steam out the wrinkles in your gown.
- If you don’t have a steamer, but you do have a hot iron, you can iron your gown if you cover the iron with a thin cloth or a piece of fabric
- Make sure that the iron is set to the lowest setting and that you are careful as you iron your gown.
- If you don’t have a steamer or an iron, you can try using dry cleaning fluid. Make sure to test the fluid on an area that is not visible on your gown first.
- If the fabric is not damaged by the fluid after a few minutes, you can pour some of the fluid on the wrinkles and then use a clean rag to rub it in.
- Storing your gown after you get wrinkles out can be difficult, but it is essential for keeping your gown in good condition.
- You should store your gown in a garment bag or in a sealed plastic bag. Make sure to keep it away from heat and humidity to prevent mold.
Congratulations on finishing your degree! Now that you have the degree, you also have a graduation gown. And as we have discussed, your gown can get wrinkles on it. But don’t fret! We have given you some tips on how to get wrinkles out of your graduation gown. So don’t forget to use them before your big day comes around! Now go out there and show off your beautiful gown!