Synthetic wigs are a wonderful option to consider if you’re looking to add more volume or length, without the use of hairspray. They’re also great if you want an affordable wig that’s easy to take care of and maintain. However, synthetic wigs can sometimes look very obviously fake. Thankfully, there are plenty of ways you can make your wig look as natural as possible — read on for our complete guide on how to make a synthetic wig look real!
How To Make A Synthetic Wig Look Real?
Bleach Your Wig
The first thing you might want to consider when making your synthetic wig look real is bleaching the wig. But why would you want to bleach your wig? Well, one reason is to tone down the color. In some cases, synthetic wigs come with bold, unnatural colors that can be difficult to make a blend with your natural hair color. Bleach is a great solution to this problem. Bleaching a synthetic wig is reasonably easy and can be done at home. What you need is a bleaching kit, a synthetic wig, and a wig stand. Before you start bleaching, you will need to wash your wig. To do this, fill a sink with lukewarm water and add a bit of wig shampoo. Then, place the wig inside the sink and let it soak for around 5 minutes. When you remove the wig, squeeze the excess water out of it and place it on a wig stand to dry naturally. When bleaching your synthetic wig, always wear rubber gloves and avoid getting the bleach in your eyes. Also, make sure you wear an old T-shirt while you’re working on the wig because synthetic wigs are extremely sensitive to heat and acids.
Next up, we have trimmed your synthetic wig. Let’s face it, long synthetic wigs look very fake. In most cases, synthetic wigs are made with extremely long wefts that don’t blend with your natural hair. So, if you are dying your natural hair and wearing an overly long synthetic wig, it will be pretty obvious that the two hairstyles don’t match. To avoid this, you can simply trim your synthetic wig. Basically, you want to trim your synthetic wig so that it is the same length or slightly shorter than your natural hair. To do this, you will need to carefully cut the wefts on the inside of your wig cap. Be careful not to cut your natural hair. This should result in a synthetic wig that is the same length or slightly shorter than your natural hair. If you want to make your synthetic wig look even more natural, you can also add a small amount of hair to the synthetic wig. Again, don’t add too much or it will look obvious.
Add Highlights Or Colour
Adding highlights and color is another great way to make your synthetic wig look real. If you have an overly long synthetic wig, adding highlights and color can help blend the synthetic hair with your natural hair and make the wig appear shorter. If your synthetic wig has a bold color, adding highlights can make the wig appear more natural. When adding highlights or color to your synthetic wig, you should cut the wefts on the inside of the wig cap so you can access the hair. Then, apply the highlights or color and seal the hair back into the wig cap. To make the highlights blend better with your natural hair, you can spray hair spray onto your hairbrush and brush the highlights into your natural hair.
Try A Piece-y Outfit
Another great way to make your synthetic wig look real is to wear a piece-y outfit. When you wear an overly long synthetic wig, it is obvious that something is not right. Wearing a long synthetic wig with a short, tight dress can make you look a bit silly. In such cases, wearing a short synthetic wig with a piece-y outfit will make the synthetic wig appear more natural. If you want to wear a synthetic wig with a piece-y outfit, you will need to make the synthetic wig shorter. You can do this by cutting the wefts on the inside of the wig cap. Again, be careful not to cut your natural hair. This should make the synthetic wig appear much shorter when you wear it.
Go For A Styling Product
Another great way to make your synthetic wig look real is to use a styling product. Styling products come in all shapes and sizes, ranging from pomades to sprays to gels. You can apply a styling product to your synthetic wig before you put it on and then brush it into your natural hair. This should help the synthetic hair blend with your natural hair and make the synthetic wig appear more realistic. Some synthetic wigs come with heat-activated styling products built-in. If your synthetic wig has a built-in styling product, simply apply it to your natural hair before you put on the synthetic wig.
What’s The Difference Between Fake Hair And Synthetic Hair?
- Synthetic wigs are made of synthetic or artificial fibers, while fake hair is made from synthetic or fake animal hair.
- Most synthetic wigs are made from polyester or nylon, while fake animal hair is usually made from silk or synthetic fibers.
- Synthetic wigs are designed to look as realistic as possible, while fake animal hair is designed to look obviously fake.
- Fake animal hair is usually shorter and spikier than synthetic wigs, and it’s also cheaper than synthetic wigs.
- Synthetic wigs can be curled, styled, and dyed like human hair.
- Fake animal hair can’t be styled or dyed; it must be cut to the desired length.
Tips To Make A Fake Wig Look Real
While all synthetic wigs look very realistic compared to other types of wigs, there are some things you can do to make them look as natural as possible. Here are some tips to make your wig look as real as possible:
- Choose your wig carefully. The first thing you should do is shop around and try on different synthetic wigs to find one that you like. There are tons of synthetic wigs on the market, and finding the right one for you is important to make the wig look real. Once you’ve found the synthetic wig that’s right for you, wash it, comb it, and style it a few times to break it in. This will help make it look natural and make it mold to your head better.
- Apply wig adhesive. This will help keep your wig in place, but it’s important to put it on your skin, not your hair. Putting it on your hair will destroy it. Put a thin layer of adhesive on the skin of your scalp above where the wig will sit. This will keep the wig in place without damaging your scalp.
- Brush out your wig. This will help make it look more natural and flatter your head. Use a wig brush to brush out your wig and make it look as realistic as possible.
- Combine your wig with your fingers. This will help give your wig a more natural look and feel. When you brush it, you’ll pull out too much volume and make it look obviously fake.
- Wash your wig regularly. Synthetic wigs are easy to clean, so don’t hesitate to wash them as often as you’d like. The more you wash a synthetic wig, the more natural it will look.
- Keep your hair cut short. If you’re wearing a long synthetic wig (or a short one and growing your hair out) you should keep your hair cut short to make the wig look more realistic. If you let your hair grow out, it will appear too long for a synthetic wig.
Advanced Techniques To Make Your Wig Look Real
- Try dying your wig. If you want to go for a more unique look, consider dying your synthetic wig — it’s easier than you’d think! All you need to dye a synthetic wig is some hair dye, a bowl, and a brush (preferably a wide-tooth comb). Simply mix the dye with water in a bowl and place your wig in the dye. Let it sit for a few hours, then use the brush to remove the excess dye. Your wig will be dyed a shade or two darker than it was before, but it will also be much more natural.
- Add a haircut to your wig. If you have a long synthetic wig, you can easily make it look more natural by adding a haircut to it. Simply cut the wig in a short bob haircut. You can style it however you’d like, you can put it up in a ponytail, or you can leave it down. Adding a haircut to your long synthetic wig will make it look much more realistic and natural.
- Go for a layered look with your wig. A layered wig is more natural than a synthetic wig that’s all one length. Cut the wig so that it has a few layers. You can either cut it yourself or have a professional do it for you.
It’s possible to make any wig look more realistic and natural, even a synthetic wig. To make your wig look real, you need to choose your wig carefully, wash it regularly, and keep your hair cut short. You can also try dying your wig, adding a haircut to it, or going for a layered look. No matter what kind of wig you choose, you can make it look as real as possible with these tips.