There are few things as refreshing on a hot summer day as an ice-cold drink. And while you might think that getting ice for your lemonade, soda, or other summer drinks is difficult, it’s actually quite simple to make at home. You can make your own ice without an ice tray by using dry ice and a plastic bottle. You can even make different colored ice if you like to have a visual flair in your drinks! Follow these steps to learn how to make your own ice without an ice tray.
How To Make Ice Without An Ice Tray
Freeze Water In Plastic Bottles
These are by far the easiest way to make ice without an ice tray. Simply fill up some plastic bottles with water and freeze them. The more bottles you use, the faster they’ll freeze. If you’re only making a few bottles of ice, be sure to place them at the back of the freezer where it’s the coldest. When the bottles are fully frozen, you can store them in your freezer until you need them. The advantage of using plastic bottles is that they’re easy to stack, store, and clean (and they’re also reusable!). One word of caution when freezing water in plastic bottles: avoid using PET plastic. PET is a soft plastic that’s often used to make water bottles, sports equipment, and food containers. Although PET is safe to use for a few hours, it can leach toxins like antimony and traces of carcinogenic dioxins when frozen for days at a time.
Use A Freezer Bag
If you’re only making a few cubes of ice, you can use a freezer bag. To do so, simply fill a freezer bag with cold water and seal it shut. Place the sealed bag in the freezer, taking care to place it at the back, where it’s the coldest. When the bag is fully frozen, remove it from the freezer and cut off the seal. You now have a few ice cubes that are perfectly safe to use in drinks and other beverages. Freezer bags are great for making small batches of ice, but they’re not suitable for long-term storage. They’re also not suitable for use in hot drinks, as they could melt and dilute the drink.
Dryer Sheets And Zip-Lock Bags
This is a clever combination of tricks. For this method, you’ll need a dryer sheet (a clean one, please!). Simply fold the dryer sheet into the shape of a normal ice cube and seal it in a zip-lock bag. The dryer sheet is a natural fabric softener and will add a nice scent to your ice cubes. Place the bag in the freezer and leave it there until the cubes are fully frozen. Once they’re ready, remove the bag from the freezer and store the ice cubes in a freezer bag or an ice tray. You can use these cubes in any drink that calls for ice. The beauty of this trick is that you can control the scent of the ice cubes. If you like the smell of dryer sheets, feel free to use them as is. If you don’t, you can add essential oils to the dryer sheet before you put them in the bag.
With Dry Ice
Dry ice is carbon dioxide that has been frozen to -109 °F (-78 °C). When dry ice is placed in water, it turns into carbon dioxide gas, which bubbles up from the water to create ice cubes. While this method of making ice isn’t suitable for everyday use, it’s great for impromptu parties or special occasions when you need a lot of ice in a hurry. Dry ice is extremely cold, so be sure to place it in a container away from food and drink items. You don’t want to risk burning anyone’s skin! Once the dry ice has turned into carbon dioxide gas and made ice cubes, you can transfer them to an ice tray and store them in the freezer.
With Canned Food And Dishwashing Liquid
Canned food is a great source of water, which you can turn into ice cubes by combining it with dishwashing liquid. Simply open a can of food and drain off the water that’s inside it. Add a few squirts of dishwashing liquid to the water and stir. Pour the water into an ice tray and freeze it. The water from canned foods is clean and free from impurities, so it’s completely safe to drink. The dishwashing liquid adds a nice scent to the ice cubes, and it helps to prevent the ice from freezing too solid.
With Hot Water And Salt
This is a very simple method of making ice cubes at home. All you have to do is pour hot water into an ice tray and sprinkle some salt on top. Once the water has cooled down, you have ice cubes that are flavored with the taste of salt! If you want to add a little more flavor to the ice cubes, you can use a variety of herbs and spices to flavor the water. You can also use this as an opportunity to add an herbal or floral flavor to your home.
Tips To Help You Make Your Own Ice Without An Ice Tray
- You can make a variety of colored ice cubes if you use a silicone tray. You will need to add food coloring to the liquid before freezing.
- You can also make clear ice cubes using a silicone ice tray. You will need to freeze a water and salt mixture.
- If you are using a baking tray, you will need to break open the ice once it is frozen and scoop out the ice cubes with a spoon or ice cube tray.
- If you are using an ice cube tray, you will need to break open the ice once it is frozen and pour the water out of the tray into a measuring cup.
- If you are using a silicone tray, you can simply pop out the cubes once they are frozen.
How To Make Clear Ice Cubes?
- To make clear ice cubes, you will need to freeze the water and salt mixture.
- Add 2 cups of water and 2 tablespoons of table salt to a sturdy, freezer-safe container.
- Seal the container and shake the mixture until the salt dissolves
- Make sure all of the salt is dissolved or you will have a very salty drink! You can also add 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract, which will add a nice flavor to your ice cubes.
- Once the water is fully chilled, pour the mixture into ice cube trays and place the trays in the freezer.
- Once the mixture is frozen, you can remove the ice cubes from the tray and store them in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container.
- They will melt slower than plain water ice cubes, so they will be the perfect addition to any drink.
How To Make Blue And Pink Ice?
- To make blue and pink ice, you will need ice cube trays and food coloring.
- Pour 1 cup of water into each section of the tray. Add a few drops of blue or pink food coloring to each section.
- Put the trays in the freezer until the water freezes.
- Remove the ice cubes from the trays, and store them in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container.
- These ice cubes are great for any drink and are a fun way to add a little extra color to your cocktails or sodas.
- These are just a few examples of what you can do with flavored ice cubes. With a few extra ingredients and a silicone tray, you can make a variety of colored ice cubes for your drinks.
- There’s no reason to buy ice cubes when you can make your own at home with a few simple ingredients.
Ice cubes are an essential part of any drink, but they don’t have to be boring. With a few ingredients and a silicone tray, you can make a variety of flavored ice cubes and spruce up your drinks. There’s no reason to buy ice cubes when you can make your own at home with a few simple ingredients.