Duct cleaning, also known as duct sterilization, is the process of removing contaminants from the exhaust air vents in your home. It’s a job that not everyone will want to do. After all, there are few things more unappealing than crawling around inside an air conditioning duct to clean it. However, given that these ducts can be home to some nasty indoor air quality offenders like bacteria and viruses, as well as dust and other allergens, cleaning them regularly can have many benefits. Here we look at the benefits and cost of Duct Cleaning and whether it’s a waste of money or not!
Is Duct Cleaning A Waste of Money?
If you have allergies or asthma, or if you live in a household with allergies, then cleaning your air ducts could potentially be a waste of money. Why? Well, the air ducts aren’t the only source of indoor pollutants. Dirty filters and a failure to clean and disinfect surfaces like doorknobs and keyboards can also be a source of indoor pollutants. Holding off on cleaning your air ducts until you’ve first dealt with other indoor pollutants can make the job more effective. Duct cleaning is worth the cost if you’re experiencing any of the following: allergies, poor indoor air quality, you want to sell your house, or you want to improve the energy efficiency of your home.
Why Should You Have Duct Cleaning Done?
Duct cleaning is crucial for your indoor air quality
While researching for this article, we found that air quality is one of the top reasons to have duct cleaning done. Duct cleaning helps remove pollutants, dust, and allergens from your ductwork. These pollutants can contribute to indoor air pollution, which is the number one cause of health problems in homes. If you think about it, having dirty ducts will only cause more problems. Ducts can trap dust, bacteria, and mold spores that can be released into the air you breathe. Having clean ducts can help prevent dust allergies and improve your health and the air quality in your home. Duct cleaning is recommended once every couple of years. This can help keep the ducts free of dust, debris, and other particles that can cause health problems. If you live in a dusty environment, duct cleaning can be done more often. If you have a central HVAC system, annual duct cleaning is recommended. If you have a duct system in your home that distributes the air from a central source to different rooms, then you have a central HVAC system.
Duct cleaning will identify mold and rot issues
Another great reason to have duct cleaning done is for rot and mold inspection. Duct cleaning is the best way to identify where mold might be growing in your ductwork. Once the ducts are cleaned, a specialist will do a visual inspection to see if there are any regions of mold or rot. This is especially important if you have recently had a flood. Cleaning your ductwork will prevent molds from growing and keep them from spreading throughout your home.
Duct cleaning will improve your HVAC efficiency
We all know that duct cleaning can remove all the dust and other particles that have accumulated over time, but what else does it do? Duct cleaning will help your system run more efficiently by getting rid of any debris that might be clogging up the system. If you have a central HVAC system, having your ducts cleaned once a year will help maintain your system’s efficiency. If you have window units, duct cleaning will keep them running at their best.
Your HVAC won’t be as noisy after duct cleaning
Duct cleaning will also help with noise reduction in your HVAC system. If the ducts are clogged with debris, airflow will be restricted and the system will be louder. If you have a central HVAC system, having your ducts cleaned can help reduce the noise level.
Breathing clean air matters
To conclude, another great reason to have duct cleaning done is that it will make you breathe cleaner air. Duct cleaning will remove dust, allergens, mold spores, and bacteria that can get into the air you breathe. If you have allergies or asthma, having your ducts cleaned can help lessen your symptoms. If your HVAC systems are covered in dust and dirt, they can’t do their job as efficiently. This can lead to poor indoor air quality, which can cause breathing issues. Having your ducts cleaned is important for overall health and safety.
How Much Does Duct Cleaning Cost?
- The cost of duct cleaning will vary depending on the type of duct cleaning service you choose and the size of your home.
- After-hours duct cleaning services are generally more expensive than services provided during regular hours. Factors that will affect the price of duct cleaning include the size of your home, the type of ducts (e.g., metal, plastic, or fibre), the accessibility of the ducts, and the type of contaminants found in your ducts.
- Duct cleaning services prices can range from $250 to $1,500. However, you can also opt to do it yourself by buying the necessary equipment and hiring a cleaning company for advice and tips!
The Benefits of Duct Cleaning
- Duct cleaning can actually be a great investment for your home. Here are some incredible benefits of having your ducts cleaned by a professional. You don’t have to waste money on replacing lines or switches.
- You wouldn’t need to do any repairs. You won’t have to spend time replacing broken lines or switches and you don’t have to cut open walls just so that you can create openings in the wall, after which you would have to pull out all the associated ductwork, it also becomes messy!
- It also gives your indoor environment a cleaner and fresher atmosphere with no health concerns, like coumadin and other costly treatments found in vets working house calls. You use cleaners are, therefore, eco-friendly or nontoxic and do not involve humans or pets in their environments.
- As an added typical benefit when one discovers a hidden central air conditioner or HVAC trouble embedded in the ducts their system compared to an entire back pressure owed by most volumes central systems like forcing hot air from unneeded surfaces seriously becomes more trustworthy too!
- Duct cleaning is safe for everyone both people who are ill and sensitive to breathing complaints as well as pets that could unintentionally make contact with dusty residue left behind still useful for others needing allergy tests but as suggested free of formaldehyde as certain dryers rug contents represented a risk, especially children smaller infants if one was not careful opposed would result from issues after physical contact in phthisis demonstrated contamination directly they stood prolonged close sized areas on.
Air ducts can be breeding grounds for bacteria, bugs, and allergens. If left uncleaned, these contaminants can creep into your home and affect your indoor air quality. Duct cleaning is the process of removing these contaminants from your ducts. Regular duct cleaning can improve your home’s energy efficiency, and it can also lower your risk of contracting allergies. There are a few things you can do to make sure you get the most out of having your air ducts professionally cleaned. First, make sure you’re experiencing one of the issues that duct cleaning can solve. Next, hire a reputable company that offers quality service. Finally, follow the cleaning company’s cleaning instructions to ensure you get the most out of your duct cleaning.